View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 07:05 AM
Caroline S

Default Meet Daisy Prudence

I have been looking for an Elna Supermatic for some time. I was given one by my first husband's grandmother in 1965 when she bought a New Home with all the bells and whistles. I traded that machine in on an Elna SU Air Electronic sometime in the 1980s.

This sewing machine came with 15 of the decorative disks but is missing the attachment accessories box that slides under the free arm. Once I removed the bent needle and oiled her well, she purrs like a contented cat. The case shows some wear after all of these years but it sure protected the sewing machine.

I have name the sewing machine Daisy Prudence after my ex husband's grandmother who gave me the original Elna Supermatic. Daisy Prudence, nee Hildreth, was born in 1894 at Belle Plains, Texas and died in 1979 in San Diego. As a small child Daisy remember traveling from Texas to San Diego by horse drawn wagon and she lived to see the space age. Remarkable!

While doing some Internet research I learned that the Supermatic uses the same decorative disks as the Elna SU Air Electronic. The only difference between the disks is that the Supermatic disks do not show the disk numbers in white and the stitch designs are in white.

I could not find a serial number on the Supermatic and the best I could determine is that she was made sometime between 1956-1958.

Attached Thumbnails 2012-08-07-more-crinkle-27-picks-elna-005.jpg