View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 08:00 AM
ThayerRags

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I would say it's a rebuild. I've read that Singer authorized certain repair facilities to rebuild machines during and just after WW II. Those machines were painted with the black crinkle paint. What does look odd is the silver paint on the bottom. Joe
I’m going to agree with Joe here, and disagree with him too...

I agree that it’s a rebuild, but I doubt that a Singer shop did it. More likely, an independent shop did it, and probably in the late 40s or early 50s when electrification spread. The motor, handwheel, lead cord, and decals were available from a popular Wholesaler to turn treadle machines into electric machines. It was big business in the industry at that time. Many sewing machine owners had their treadle machines “electrified” when electricity finally reached their home. Orphaned machines were electrified to sell to new buyers.

The decal set appears to be set #1261, available wholesale at $0.50 each, $5.50/Doz, or $40.00/100, and was in the 1951 catalog and probably earlier. Motors were $10 and up, and the handwheel was $2. The motor block and 6’ cord set (#700) was another $0.90 or $10 per dozen. Retail was probably double the wholesale price, plus labor to make the conversion.

I would guess that the silver “paint” is possibly the primer coat that was applied to the entire machine before the paint was applied. Paint wasn’t needed under the machine where it wouldn’t be seen, but rust prevention was needed.

It looks like they kept the original treadle belt-powered bobbin winder instead of replacing it with a belt guard-mounted one. I guess that the belt was simply stretched out around the BW when winding a bobbin?

I enjoy the rebuilds because they’re not all the same. Shops did whatever they needed to do to get the machines running with the newest convenience to the homemaker...electricity!

CD in Oklahoma