Thread: Washing fabric
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 09:50 AM
DaisyJ

I am pretty new to making quilts, I have made 5. The 5th one I just finished, it is one that my mother and I worked on together as a gift for my grandmother for her 90th birthday this October. I have never pre-washed my material for any of the quilts and always washed them with color catchers and they have been just fine......until this last one.....washed it with 2 color catchers (it is throw size) and it has red fabric in it and some white fabric and the red bled on the white. I was devastated when I pulled it out of the washer so I frantically started searching "google" for help on what to do. We tried oxi clean on the stain and nothing happened. Then we used a solution of equal parts, ammonia, liquid dish soap and water, sprayed it on the spots and scrubbed with a toothbrush and could see that it was definitely lightening it. Let it sit with that solution for about 15 min. then washed it again using Borax and said a prayer! So happy it came out great, no more red stains!!! So very very relieved......from now on I will always pre-wash reds!!!