View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

My advice is to take however much time you need in order to be sure, as this is a big purchase. There will always be another sale.

Sounds as if you have not explored all your options thoroughly yet. For example, if you are interested in frame quilting, then you really want to consider the Juki 2010Q which is a high-speed straight stitch machine (about $1,000). You can mount this on a Ken Lund homemade frame (about $200) and practice frame quilting to your heart's content. If you decide you don't like frame quilting, the Juki makes a great piecing machine and at that time you can purchase a sit-down machine for quilting. If you decide you want to take the next step with frame quilting, you can purchase a Hinterberg stretch frame with refurbished Voyager longarm for $2400 (on the Hinterberg site) and retire the Juki to speed piecing. (Or sell the Juki; lots of people would love to buy a used 2010!)

Personally, I would stay away from a machine that does everything. For embroidery, ideally you want a separate machine so it can be sewing out an embroidery pattern while you are piecing or machine quilting on another setup. It's also really nice to have a machine dedicated to quilting (the frame setup) and still have a machine available for piecing.

The rule-of-thumb on the homequiltingsystems group at groups.yahoo.com is to spend a year researching and trying out setups before actually buying one. This helps people avoid under-buying, over-buying, and buying the wrong type of quilting setup.

That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth......