View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 11:23 AM
FroggyinTexas

You must be awfully young to ask this question! My grandmother made quilts out of the parts of my grandfather's shirts that weren't worn out and out of her sons' and daughter's outgrown clothing. People on this board are forever showing off their garage and estate sale fabric finds--they have no idea about the background of lots of that fabric. At our last quilt guild meeting, the presenter--who has Ph.D. in textiles--showed several dozen quilts that she had made of such a great variety of fabrics that my little fabric democratic heart was pittypatting every minute. Many, if not most of her quilts were cotton/polyester blends. The binding had worn out on some, but the colors were as bright as the day the quilt was made. One was made of red corduroy. Several were made of some interesting fabric mixes.

Use what you've got and what will give you pleasure. If you are making quilts to be loved and used, they are going to wear out anyway. If you are making heirlooms that's another story, but not one I don't know anything about. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by prairie_girl View Post
With the price of fabric and everything else rising it is getting harder and harder to afford fabric for quilts. Although there are lots of beautiful fabrics out there, I would rather put food on the table for my kids.

I am wondering if anyone makes quilts using old clothes and if you have pictures of these quilts to show. Is there anything in particular you look for when purchasing used clothing for quilting? What do you use for batting?

I don't have a 'stash' so working from that is not feasible.

Last edited by FroggyinTexas; 08-08-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: add a word