View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Pinkiris

Originally Posted by rwquilts View Post
Alright Jenniky, here goes. I found some blocks that I can practice this method on and if it works, great! If not, I won't feel horrible.

I have quilted my first two blocks and have put together my first two blocks. Unlike you, I will stitch my seams by machine, cause I know if I do it by hand, it's likely not to happen. So what I did before sewing my back folded strip down over the seams, was to use my handy dandy little glue stick on the back piece just to help it stay down a bit and then I stitched in the ditch on the front and the back came out nicely. By the way, don't shoot me, but I also used my handy dandy glue stick to baste my batting and block in preparation for quilting. I do a lot of applique, and my glue stick is a favorite tool of mine and I thought it might work and walla! Worked like a charm.

So, Ronda, you glued down the back folded strip. Then did you press it to dry the glue? You then say that you stitched in the ditch on the front. Did that stitching come out as close to the edge of the back strip as it looks in your second picture? If so, I'd say that it's totally acceptable. I've tried that on other things and wasn't so happy with how far it ended up from the edge of the back strip. I had a flap instead of a nicely sewed edge. Guess it depends on the width of the strips. Were yours like Jenniky suggested--1" on front and 1 3/4" on the back?