View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 06:42 PM
rwquilts

Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
So, Ronda, you glued down the back folded strip. Then did you press it to dry the glue? You then say that you stitched in the ditch on the front. Did that stitching come out as close to the edge of the back strip as it looks in your second picture? If so, I'd say that it's totally acceptable. I've tried that on other things and wasn't so happy with how far it ended up from the edge of the back strip. I had a flap instead of a nicely sewed edge. Guess it depends on the width of the strips. Were yours like Jenniky suggested--1" on front and 1 3/4" on the back?

Yes. I followed Jenniky's tutorial completely and just added the glue part before pressing the back down and before stitching in the ditch on the front. If you wanted it even closer to the edge,you could cut the wide strip a tiny bit skinier, but I'm okay with it as it is. I have done another block and it's getting easier as I go. I have all my blocks quilted now and will continue to put them together tomorrow.

To answer your earlier question Jenniky, yes, I'm finding that I am starting to enjoy this process...(shhhh...don't tell anyone...).

I'm happy to see that others have also been using glue...I just use the cheapest stick I can find, and liquid at times as well. I never cake it on, but just dab here and there. Right now I have Elmer's. I find that the school glue that goes on purple and then turns clear? It dries out too fast for me to really use it, so I have a bunch of it that's just setting there wasting away.