Old 08-09-2012, 11:00 AM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Had another lesson in KISS yesterday. Pulled out the 301 to finally give her a quilt to sew on, and for the life of me couldn't figure out why the top thread was making little loops on the back of the fabric. She worked just fine when I put her away last time! Looked at the bobbin...nothing. Cranked up the top tension...nothing. Then I thought what are they always saying on the QB? Bottom problems are top tension problems. Walked away. Sat back down, gave the old girl a pat and promised not to do anything drastic to her. Followed my threading from the needle up. Urm...ooops! I had pulled the thread in front of the tension discs instead of between them. Easy to do and not so easy to spot at a glance. Rethreaded her properly and all was well again.

So, thanks for keeping me from lots of frustration y'all!
Sounds like my day...almost.

Yesterday while sewing on my Singer 201, I notice the machine producing a different sound in the bobbin area. I noticed that the stitching wasn't correct; so, I went to check the bobbin. Well, not only was the bobbin out, but the race and race hook had come out. Yup! Well, I had cleaned that machine months ago and have been sewing on it with no troubles.

Thank GOD for RAIN's tutorial on cleaning the Singer 201 race:http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/20...g-ring-re.html.

Rain came to my rescue!! I had bookmarked the page; so, I quickly went to work reinstalling the race and hook.

I thought I had clicked that pin back correctly months ago, and I might have done so, but somehow it all came apart yesterday.

I'm thinking that a thread had gotten caught in the pin area, and a pulling of the thread released the pin which then cause the race and hook to come loose.

I agree with Bennett. A big thank you to all that share their knowledge!!!

And a huge <<<<HUG>>>> to RAIN! I love your tutes!!!