View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 12:31 PM
ragquilter

Originally Posted by alwayslearning View Post
The same product that arrives at the same chain stores on the same day may be priced differently. Different locations may mean different overhead costs, such as one location having higher instances of shoplifting -- everyone who shops there bears that burden in the higher prices. The grocery store in the plaza I worked in had the highest meat prices of the chain because there was a homeless camp in the nearby woods. Too me, all they had to do was ask those men to take off their overcoats. They just are not need 99% of the time in Central Florida!
I agree, I find the cheapest prices in the higher income areas. I have saw a dollar difference on a $3.00 item from a Walmart in a rich neighborhood and in a less affluent side of town. (Worked in the rich neighborhood, lived in the blue collar neighborhood). But the "formula" includes other things as well. Partly nearby competition which a store would more likely have in a higher income area. In a low income area, people have a fewer stores to shop, so there is less or no competition. Stopping shoplifters is a lot harder than you think. In NC you have to see the shoplifter put the item on their person and not lose sight of them before they leave the store. It is also dangerous for the employees and can cause law suits for anything the shop lifter can think of. Most are professional shop lifters, that is how they make their living and they know all the tricks of the trade. The company I worked for closed a store because they were losing $50,000 a week to shoplifters.