Old 08-11-2012, 09:02 AM
J Miller

Originally Posted by path49 View Post
If the "Q" foot you're talking about is clear plastic, it's the Kenmore foot for knits...they started making it in the late 60's or early 70's. I think the "Q" stood for Qiana, a kind of slinky knit that was in style then. They made a special "Q" needle also, it was blue.

I can't imagine why it won't make ANY stitch at all. Have you tried different thread/needle? It sounds like the thread is clinging to the fabric so tightly that there's no loop for the shuttle hook to catch....sometimes that will happen sewing elastic or velcro BUT you usually just get skipped stitches. Another possibility is that the needlebar is set slightly too high. Anyway, good luck with it.
Pat,
This machine was very used when I got it. It's insides was filled with what looked and felt like wool lint.
I've not touched the needle bar or any of the physical adjustments. All I've done is get it clean, oiled it, and now rewired it. The needle is ,thanks to your little suggestion, sitting at the same length as the original.
I'm using an older spool of what looks to be #50 thread on top with a lighter thread in the bobbin.

Later today I'm going to check with the manual to make sure I have the bobbin in right. Then perhaps I'll try a different thread in both. Your thought the thread might be clinging to the fleece might be right. It's something to check anyway.

Joe