Old 08-11-2012, 02:53 PM
DeneK

I thought the tutorial with Ricky Tims showing how he makes his Rhapsody Quilts was worth my annual subscription cost... Even though I only get an abbreviated version most of the time (as I mentioned above, my internet provider does not allow sufficient bandwidth to watch things like this all the time) I still plan to renew my membership. Whether or not it's worth it depends on what you need/want to get out of it.

Several things I remember from the Sally Collins video was verifying accuracy at each step and re-doing the block until it is totally correct. Using a finer thread and #9 needle to help achieve that elusive scant 1/4" seam. Something that should be immediately evident, but which I realized I did not always do, is to be sure that your two fabric pieces are perfectly aligned before stitching. She suggests placing your initial pin across the seam line, but the rest of the pins on the seam line and not horizontally across it -- less distortion of the fabric.

I don't remember the specifics because I knew that I wasn't ready to make use of all her suggestions. I want to be as careful and accurate as I can be within my tolerance for error. I would never get anything done if it all had to be perfect. I strive for improvement with each quilt and watch videos like this to see what I might take away from them for myself. A suggestion that I am unwilling to adopt today may prove to be applicable next year (or maybe even my next quilt). And I do like being able to go back and watch again and again if I choose.