View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Jenniky

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
I'm going to guess that the pinning was the one that you liked the best. My reason is that with the glues, you had to press each one before you could start quilting. It would be faster to pin. In looking at the blocks, they all turned out about the same. I am just surprised that you used straight pins. I probably would use the quilting pins. I'd stick myself for sure trying to quilt with the straight ones. LOL
You are correct on the pinning. Yes I like the fact that I dont have all the extra ironing. I did not think I was seeing any shrinkage in my batting. However, My pinned blocks are puffier for sure. I have been using the polyester setting on my iron also. So I really had not noticed a difference until I placed all the different methods of basting finished squares next to each other and compared the level of loft taking into account the stitches per square.

I know that the 100% polyester is notorious for shrinkage; but I purchased a huge roll of the low loft polyester batting from JoAnns for like 19.00 on sale. I wanted a cheap batting for learning with my orphaned squares. I had been using the more expensive warm and natural batting. I cant say that the results would of been the same if I used a higher quality batting.

I keep forgetting to order or purchase them. I was looking at those tips you can put on end of the pins. I've seen that many people post good reviews on them. But yes, JeanieG I have to be extra careful to not poke myself.

I have tried pin basting a complete quilt with safety pins. I experienced many frustrating problems. Then I was introduced to the adhesive spray and had great success. So I suppose you can say I got stuck on adhesive spray (PUN INTENDED!) Most of the QAYG tutorials I reviewed used the spray baste so naturally I would follow suit. Now though, using the pinning method with the individual squares, is FASTER, CLEANER, LESS IRONING and I get the same if not maybe better results when using low quality batting. The KEY though is once I get everything smooth before I start quilting - I need to machine baste around the edges of the square. This really makes a big difference. Either if I am quilting from the center outward or from one corner outward. If I have bunching at the edges I can easily pull out the machine basting and smooth out the fabric and then resew around the edges prior to attaching the squares together. So far I have had really great results. Great Job JeanieG.

I hope there will still be more discussion on this subject. I would love to hear other opinions and experiences and results.