Old 08-11-2012, 07:27 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
I just bought a button holer that I thought would fit on my 401A, but am now unsure and need help. It is aSinger Professional buttonholer and says it is for vertical zigz-zag sewing machines. In the book it shows 3 different cover plates. I have the # 86748, and it says that is for vertical-needle zig-zag sewing. Will that one work with my machine?
Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm totally new concering these slant shank sewing machines.
If you look at the button hole maker at the top where it holds on to the shaft it should say 'slant' if it will fit a 401 or other slant machine. There are a couple different kinds. One comes in a pink or green case - they load the cam from the bottom. There is also a professional button hole maker - it loads from the top. There is a professional button hole maker that works on short shank - it is marked 'straight' on the top where it attaches to the shaft. I don't know why but I like the one that loads from the bottom better even though you have to remove it to change cams and I can't tell you why I like it better.