Old 08-12-2012, 03:14 AM
barri1

Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
what will you be doing in haiti? i interviewed with an organization last week with a business in haiti and am just waiting to hear from the director, yeah or nah. i need to get some of these boxes of scraps your receiving. what joy. if you find a solution to cutting your squares more efficiently then your accuracy will follow. there are so many ways to cutting 1.5" squares even from scraps. using the 1.5" corner of a ruler template with scraps should work wonders.

here's hoping you find a good solution for you.
I was invited to Haiti to help open a medical office. I have a bunch of friends in the NE corner of MO that support missionaries all over, and Solonoque has a brother that graduated medical school, and is in need of help opening an office. It's a little funny when I go on missions with my friends. These are Christian missions, and I am Jewish. It's interesting because I am parallel in religion with them, and can have major discussions on the Old Testament. I don't know much about the New Testament, but we have a lot of fun with interpretation of what meanig, or underlying meanings on some things.
The scraps were rescued from someone on the board that was going to use them to stuff a dog bed. She mentioned that she needed help with how to do it, and I mentioned that there are a bunch of quilters that would be glad to take her scraps, and create quilts. I sent her postage, and she sent me a 6lb box. She said she had more, so I sent her more postage for a friend, and me.. She sent me another 6lb box.. Just think.. Some nice dog would otherwise be sleeping on beautiful, nicely ironed, and perfectly cut 2.5" strips.. I wonder if we could put a note in the offers section advising that we are looking for scraps, and how many people would be glad to oblige. I have enough scraps to probably make a dozen or more quilts. There isn't enough fabric to make a quilt that isn't scrappy.
Thanks for advising me on how to cut the squares. I have been sitting on the couch with a sharp scissor cutting around a template. I stack the fabric about six fold. I am noticing the inaccuracy, and tossing a bunch. Will try it your way, and Sheri's..