View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 06:20 AM
vickig626

Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post
Thanks JeanieG for you encouragement.

I was pondering the glue basting. I had a thought about something I commented on and then also Vickig626 replied in way of comment. I have been shopping for a high end machine. Trying to decide which, what and so forth I like the best in the various models. With this thinking in mind. Will I feel confident enough using glue products around a two thousand plus dollar high end machine. Off the top of my head Im screaming no....but I would not hold that as a truth down the line as I become more comfortable and adept at using glue products with care and a bit more precision. (NO GUNKING)

It has become so automatic for me to Spray Adhesive or Now Glue with Liquid or STick Baste before I am quilting. Im forgetting that I also have other options. So I decided it was only fair that since I have showed these glue basting techniques to also Share some Quilting using Pins to baste (hold) the fabric in place prior to quilting. *** This is the time for all you ladies who don't care for glues and adhesive sprays to give your positive input on methods not involving Glue Products.*** Question: Would the Wonder Under Scrap use Idea be considered a glue product?????

I started Pinning my sandwiched quilt block at #1 in the middle, Then I moved to #2 and pin around in the secondary area. Finally I placed pins in the four outer corners and then in the middle of all outer edges.

Once I had completed these pinning steps. I ran a stitch around the edges of my quilt sandwich as we have done with all the other methods.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]354974[/ATTACH]

I left the pins in and started my quilting in the corner of the middle square. I removed the pins as I worked my way out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]354975[/ATTACH]

Here is the front and back of my completed sandwiched and squared quilt square.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]354976[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]354977[/ATTACH]

RESULTS: It actually took me less time from start to finish. Quilting this square.

Discussion: How do you think the different methods I have shared compare in my finished squares. I'm going to wait and see what you ladies have to say before; before I reveal my findings. Im excited to hear your thoughts, comments and experienced insight.
Jenniky - I don't think there's much difference in any of your testing results but maybe it's just my old eyes LOL
My guess is whatever works best is the best one for the quilter.

But I have a separate comment about the glue -- I do use Sewline glue sticks for installing zippers and no gumming up of the machine or needle. But being a little pricier, I would use these on glue basting the quilt squares only because of the expense. I do use regular glue sticks occasionally without any problems but not on a regular basis. I do notice the needle gums up a little but I replace that needle as soon as I'm done with whatever I'm sewing.

I have a Babylock Esante and it's a little over 4 years old. It's a workhorse and very reliable. I'm hoping to add the Symphony next year and dedicate my Esante to strictly an embroidery machine. I wouldn't trade it for the world but there's some nice new features on the Symphony that my older Esante doesn't have.

Hope I've cleared up any worries about glue sticks and the computerized machines. But, liquid glue, I can't speak to that.