View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 08:37 AM
crashnquilt

I do have to agree I would not want this machine as a free motion machine because of the throat space. As you get more experienced with quilting you will find you will NOT use the decorative stitches as much as you think. For one, they take time to stitch out and most quilters don't want to use their time for decorative stitching. Also, they use up A TON of thread, i.e. you will go thru bobbins like water.
As far as a "computerized machine" goes, IMO, the more mechanical machine the better! If you need to "fudge" a bit on those last two stitches in the seam to really HIT THE MARK, a mechanical machine is much more forgiving. Also, if you happen to come to a really thick seam, some of the computerized machines can get out of time trying to sew them. Most mechanical machines have a much stronger motor as well.
I do have the Janome 6600P that has some computerized functions but is forgiving like a mechanical. Here is a list of features I find important for a machine:
Strong, durable motor, knee lift, thread cutter, separate bobbin winding motor, adjustable presser foot pressure, good lighting, ease of use, common bobbin size. What I really DO NOT LIKE about my 6600 is the bobbin. I cannot find bobbins at JoAnn's or Walmart and am forced to buy genuine Janome bobbins.

This is just MY OPINION.