View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 01:56 PM
PaperPrincess
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
How much waste are we talking about? I have both the 10" and 5" twister but have yet to try them. Now I'm worried about the waste. I've never done a scrappy quilt before. Is it like half waste? Quarter waste?
Regarding the amount of waste. There's a bunch. The tool you use with a 5" charm (which would normally finish at 4.5") cuts a 3.5" square (which finishes at 3"). So if you use 36 charms and sew a 6 X 6 block top, it will finish at 27" X 27". You position the tool on the seams, so you would get a 5 block by 5 block twister, measuring 15" X 15"

I think that's why they came out with the 2 mini templates. You can use up the waste with the tiny templates.

Having said this, I hope it doesn't discourage you! The tool is a lot of fun to use and I'm sure you will come up with a use for the left overs.

Regarding buying the tool vs. making your own template, I would go for the tool. It has little feet that help the tool sit flat on the fabric which has a bulky seam. Also, if you have a rotating cutting mat, this is the time to dig it out and use it!