View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Lioness3xs

I'm a 3 ring binder storer myself but then I also added my computer to store my table of contents and this allows me to sort or search all my patterns at one time. I divided my patterns by bags, wearables, lap quilts, full size quilts, table runners, blocks, techniques, wall hangings, Misc. Then I was struggling to find a way to place the patterns into the categories that would help me find them easily in the future. The obvious was by alphebically. I use the fist letter of each word in the title as the key. Each category is then placed into an excel document on my comptuer and by using the column headings of code letters, pattern name, designer, finished size, technique I can fill in the table as needed to help me with searches in the future. I don't necessarially fill in each blank in the worksheet, just those that help me remember the pattern better. Remember the library is what works best for me and others may not find it as easy to use as I do. I just had to come up with an idea of what I wanted to do and then I've tweeked and updated it as needed. Sometimes, you'll discover something that just clicks with your unique way of thinking and organizing.