Old 08-13-2012, 05:07 AM
bigsister63

Originally Posted by DawnA View Post
I have a very basic machine so straight or grid quilting is my options. I was thinking of starting at one corner and letting the foot meander on its own and kind of guiding it to the opposit corner. Then begin following that line with the presser foot to the right corner. Of course I would follow the line to the left corner also. So in my mind this would be combining fmq and straight line quilting. Has anyone ever did this or seen it? I only do small quilts like doll and baby. I dont think it would be to hard.
huh? You can do FMQ with a basic machine. All you have to do is lower/cover the feed dogs and use a FMQ/darning foot. I have done straight line stitching, gentel curves and even echoing with my regular sewing foot. Just go slow and easy Also a problem with your wavy stitching is that it may not anchor down the batting enough. Check you batting package to see the recommended quilting distance. (batting package should say) Also I use invisible thread when I do SID. The new thread is very fine and can not be seen in the "ditch" therefore any uneven stitching does not show. My bobbin is usually the color of the backing . Although I just talked to a FMQ who uses the invisible thread on the bobbin also. Actually I always SID to anchor batting and then do FMQ.