Old 08-13-2012, 05:42 AM
Christine-

I watched "How to make an American Quilt" last night for the umpteenth time. I know you've probably watched this movie a lot too, right? This movie has subtle life messages in it, and some not so subtle. Each time I watch it something new stands out. For instance, last night there was a scene where one woman says the hardest thing about being friends with women is that they're women. Some women can be nasty and mean. She lost her husband to cancer a year before, and although she joined the other women in they're quilting task, it seemed she was singled out as the one they picked on, and with no good reason. I thought she handled their treatment of her graciously and with forbearance.

As the movie progresses, we're shown the various struggles each woman has had in her life. The only woman whose life was picture perfect was the woman they picked on. She had a wonderful relationship with her husband, she missed him terribly. A husband of one of the other women targeted her vulnerability, and was rebuffed. Her character, out of all the women, was notably the most sterling.

When I see women picking on someone, (it happens to all us) I try to keep this in mind, you don't know what they've gone through in life. The mere fact that they're picking at you, is proof they have some struggle going on. Sometimes I fail, and lash back, but most times I absorb it... and let it roll of my back at a later time.

Anyway, these are just thoughts running through my head this morning. How's your morning going?

Last edited by Christine-; 08-13-2012 at 05:48 AM.