Thread: Quirky Habits
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Neesie

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
Of all the places she'd gone to the world over, NO was my Mother's favorite place on earth... hands down! Her & my Dad took the train down every spring & spent a week. Her first stop? Someplace to get beignets (which she learned to make & would make for me... yum!)! Her second stop? To hear Al Hirt! Me? I'd have found a crawfish boil!!!

And yes, the little crocks were white ceramic or porcelain or something. And were ice cold.

I remember dressing up (& my mom having on gloves & a hat even!) to go shopping. Then we'd go have lunch at the Tea Room & I felt soooooo grown up!!!
Strange as it probably sounds, I can't stand even the thought of crawfish! BLAH! Probably because I watched my dad and uncles eat them, when I was a child. Will spare others the details . . . but I'm sure you know to what I'm referring. Just totally grossed me out.

My aunt used to work at McCrory's (on Canal) and was in charge of making the candied apples. She'd always set aside a few of the best ones, for us. She had her own "secret" recipe, for the red candy on them. Refused to share it with any of the other workers, so she was THE candied apple person.