View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 11:36 AM
vickig626

Originally Posted by w7sue View Post
I have many binders with patterns I have pulled from magazines (filed alphabetically) - takes up a whole shelf on my bookcase - very bulky - not sure if I would do it this way again. My dream is to scan them all so they are on my computer - not even sure how long that would take - or how I would separate them into files - I subscribe to several magazines now and instead of tearing out the pages, I wait until the end of the year and take the whole years worth to Kinko's and have them spiral bind them. This way, I have the whole year together, it is easier to flip through them and I can make copies of pages as needed. So far, I am liking this idea the best.

I have always kept a scrapbook of quilts I have made - pictures put on scrapbook paper and inserted into sheet protectors - store them by year - finally made an excel spreadsheet with the list so I can find them more easily since I can't always remember which year I made what (been quilting since 1998 and have made over 300 quilts). I put the name of the quilt, where the pattern is from/name of the pattern, who the quilt went to and why, who quilted it, type of batting if known and how much it cost to have it quilted. I have often thought it would have been a good idea to put some scraps with this information just in case a quilt came back for repairs ...
Did you know that several magazines are now offering digital versions which would sound like the best option for you. I have a few digital patterns which I like because if I can't find the already printed one, I know I can always reprint it. Fons & Porter is one magazine and Quiltmaker is starting to offer some of their special editions in digital format.