Old 08-14-2012, 04:26 AM
J Miller

Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
I think certain Kenmore machines are fussy. This one complains because it doesn't have the hybrid needle it needs. A friend of mine has a Kenmore from 1974, all metal, uses cams, etc. The stitches it makes are lovely. The underside looks just like a Singer machine. It uses regular needles, not the extinct ones. Too bad we can't find a stash of those needles for you somewhere!
Christine,

I agree totally. This one is fickle as can be, but not just because of the needles. I think this model of machine was an experiment. Sort of a precursor of things to come. It is not made like a normal machine of it's time.
>It has a two piece outer shell, like the modern plastic machines. Only it's shell is stamped sheet steel.
>It has an aluminum skeleton, like the modern plastic machines.
>It was made with stamped metal, aluminum and plastic parts, like the modern plastic machines.
>It was designed to require no maintenance, like modern plastic machines.
>It was made to use an odd ball needle.
>It was designed with planned obsolescence in mind, like the modern machines.

Some how in spite of all this, it has survived and with some work is now in working order. It is my opinions the needles were made odd ball so that after a period of time there were be no more and the machine would be disposed of. I can't prove it, but if you look at the whole picture, it kind of adds up to that.
I'd love to find some original needles. But I won't hold my breath.

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Joe; How old is the testy Kenmore? I have a vintage one that I need to unearth before I can give any more info about it but you have me curious about the needed needles now. Actually I have 2 Kenmores but think one of them is less vintage than the other one. Can unearth that one and look at it a bit more.
Chris
Chris,
The owners manual is date coded: 6-53. So I'd say mid 50s.
It is the only Kenmore I have that uses this odd needle. The needle point looks like the Singer 206-13 needle. It has a very short point below the eye, just like the 206-13. So it's not only the odd length that causes the problems, but the short point too.

I have a 1930s Kenmore 117-812 made by White. Uses 15x1 needles. Sews good and will be running when I'm long gone. Also have a 158-13470 from the 70s that uses 15x1 needles and it's one of the best machines we have. Just got a 158-523 that also uses 15x1s and it is coming right along. Got some pieces to get freed up, but it sews nicely.

Like I said to Christine, I think this machine was an experiment that failed. A bad omen of things to come. It just took 30 more years for the manufacturers to put features of this machine into mainstream production.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 08-14-2012 at 04:28 AM.