View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Yosamitesa

When I got quilt shop shopping, my first priority is how they treat me and my 2-1/2 year old son. He goes every where with me. If they have a problem with him being in the shop, then out the door we go. Had one shop where I was looking at fabric on the top shelf and he was looking at the fabric on the bottom shelf just rubbing the fabric, just like mommy. The owner of the shop came up to me and told me I needed to control my child and not let him touch the fabrics. I handed her the bolts I had already selected and picked my kiddo up and out the door we walked. She came running after me asking WHY I wasn't buying any of the fabric I had pulled off the shelf and then tried to give me a lecture about how long it was going to take her staff to put 5 bolts back in their place. Will NOT go back to that shop, EVER!

My second priority is the selection versus the price. I know prices are going up, however I know certain "staple" fabrics that you have had in the store for a year that you marked up to be in line with the other fabrics...the reason I know is because I still see the lower price beneath the price tag you tried to cover it up with. I expect to pay more for the newer fabrics, however the older ones, keep their prices the same, unless you ordered a new bolt of it. Now, the selection needs to be there too. Been in shops where they have maybe 200 bolts and they are all similar.

My third priority is friendliness of staff AND manuverability throughout the store. The staff needs to be excited I'm there and they need to have enough respect for me to make it so that I can manuvere about the store without fear of knocking something over. Too often I've seen displays set up on flimsy tables, one bump and they are on the floor. If/when this happens it is nice when the staff comes over and fixes it and tells you not to worry, it wasn't my fault.

Other things I look for are new patterns and pattern selections, unique fabrics, etc. Also, need a place for hubby to sit and wait. He gets impatient having to stand or walk around with me.