View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Ps 150

Default My Niece's First Birthday Quilt

This was a "quick, fast and in a hurry" quilt for my niece's first birthday. I hurt my back in February, so I haven't been quilting much. I called her grandmother to see what I could get my niece for her first birthday, since I didn't get a birthday list in the mail with the invite, like they normally send. She said, "Well, we just assumed you would make her a quilt." So, I didn't say anything and just set to work. I did make her brother a first birthday quilt, and their cousin one, so I kind of felt guilty about it, especially after their grandmother's comment. Technically, they're DH's best friend's children, but they call us aunt and uncle and I really do adore the two little sweeties, and their cousin, DH's best friend's brother's kid.

I went with a D9P in two colors since I had to hurry. Her name is biblical and refers to a woman, named Lydia, selling purple cloths, so I went with purples. Her parents did her nursery in purple and she loves it. I did SID around all the strips and squares and then fastened yo-yo's on to the quilt (with Fabric Fusion glue and hand stitching, so she won't rip those off). I thought the yo-yo's matched the swirls in the light purple nicely and I thought it would dress up such a simple pattern.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_1015.jpg   dsc_1016.jpg   dsc_1017.jpg