View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 04:19 AM
Hinterland

Kaysue, I don't think you can sharpen the needle without running the risk of making it duller. Most tomato pincushions have a strawberry emery attached, and you can try poking the needle through there to see if it sharpens. Your best bet is to go to your LQS or Joann's and find a similar needle. I would recommend an 8 or 9 quilting between.

It's easier to thread the needle if you cut the thread on an angle. If it is still hard to thread, wet the eye of the needle - it helps wick the thread through. Sometimes threading through the other side of the needle helps, too.

For batting, I would recommend a cotton batting, but try to avoid Warm and Natural - many hand quilters find it hard to quilt through. I like Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon, but Quilters Dream is also very nice. The advantage to Quilters Dream for you is that you don't have to quilt quite so closely.

Baste the quilt before putting it on the frame. Thread basting might be easier than pinning. I spread the backing out on the floor, smooth the batting over it, and then the top. I start in the center and sew big stitches to the edge, radiating out from the center. You want to baste closely enough so the layers don't shift.

9-10 stitches per inch is fabulous for a beginner. I'm not sure what you mean by quilt table, but if it's a frame, make sure you keep the quilt loose in the frame - if it is too tight it will be harder to stitch and you might bend your needle.

Personally, I cut my thread about 18 -20 inches long. I use YLI hand quilting thread - it's glazed, so it doesn't knot and fray so easily.

Good luck with your quilt!

Janet

Last edited by Hinterland; 08-15-2012 at 04:21 AM.