View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 06:23 AM
jcrow

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by Dollyo View Post
I only use Sharon Schamber's Elmer's School glue method. If binding has not been your thing, then you need an expert's advise (hers not mine). This is the easiest, most precise way to do binding. Once you learn this method, you won't send your quilt out for binding. Here is the link to her youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hWQ5-ZccE I personally use 2 1/2" strips, glue, press, stitch to the front 3/8", press from the front (setting the seam), press from the back (making sure everything is laying flat), trim the corners, fold to the back, glue, and stitch it down from the back using monofilament thread in the top and bobbin (depending on who the quilt is for). I don't use monofilament for baby or soldier's quilts. Those I use a decorative stitch with whatever thread that I used for quilting the top. I really like variegated, so it is usually that. The first pics binding is just using a decorative stitch from my old Viking. The second quilt is using a star stitch from my embroidery machine. And sometimes, I hand sew them.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]355401[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]355403[/ATTACH]
That was the most interesting video on binding. I am going to use her method and try binding my quilts (only machine bind instead of hand bind). Thank you for sharing.