Thread: Living Frugally
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 09:03 AM
donnalynett

We only buy grocery items that are on sale and yes I use my Food Saver and freeze about everything. I make large casseroles for the two of us, divide it into three sections, eat one and vacuum seal the other two. We freeze grated cheese by placing one cup in a cheap sandwich baggie and then put as many as possible into a gallon freezer bag. Only need to take out what is needed for casseroles, etc. I also freeze onion slices when onions are on sale. We are not able to go get wood for the wood stove anymore but buying the presto logs cost us more than our electric heat. We do keep a supply on hand in case of a power outage. I buy my fabrics at garage sales and buy flat sheets when they are on sale at Fred Meyers but I won't pay more than $3.99 per sheet. I buy my clothing if possible at garage sales. We only use cold water with our washing machine. We don't buy fresh vegetables or fruits but buy it in cans when on sale at Bi-Mart and stock up for at least a year. We don't live where a garden will do well. We buy cleaning products, toothpaste, etc in large quanities but be sure and check the pull-date first. We don't go to movies and very seldom eat out. It is a rare treat for me to buy fabric from LQS or Connecting Threads but I wait until it goes down on sale to $3 or less per yard.