Old 08-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Cre8tvlwyr

OK ladies,
I'm about to start sewing, but I did look ahead a little and have some advice for E-7 [which I have yet to make...]

You will notice by looking at Brenda's pattern there are no seams - she has made it far more complicated than it needs to be! Jane's original block and thatquilt.com's instructions have seam lines to avoid the dreaded "Y-seam" - but I see a far far easier way to do this one!! If you continue the diagonal lines to the straight line, you will see that there are 16 half-square triangles.... my friend!! They finish to a very slightly generous 1" To make half square triangles you need to add 7/8" to the finished size. My suggestion is that you either cut 8 - 2" squares of each fabric, mark the diagonal, and sew 1/4" to each side & then cut down marked line ... or ... use 1" triangle paper - make eight of them taking a very scant 1/4" seam. After pressing to the dark fabric - lay your squares out to match the general directions of the cut-down half square triangles [HST] represented by the block, match the 1 1/4" marking on your ruler to the dark corners of your HST's. Now you can add the sashing in between the pieces - cut a generous 3/4" to finish 1/4" and add the border.

wahlah!! - no paper piecing required!
Gus

If it doesn't make sense - ask a question or PM me - I probably won't make it til next week sometime.