View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 07:06 AM
Jenniky

Default Adding borders

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356040[/ATTACH]

Using the same sandwiching technique I used to make the squares, I cut my top borders to my finished size adding in the 1/4 inch seam allowance. I cut my batting at least half an inch larger then my top borders. I cut the back pieces almost the same size the my batting. I used spray basting adhesive. I lightly heat pressed the backing onto the batting first then I flipped over the unit and sprayed the batting with adhesive and then gently rolled my top border piece down the batting border smoothing and re-positioning as needed to center my top border piece onto the Border Sandwich. I have already chalked traced my design onto my top border. I did not heat set the top border because I was not sure if the iron would mess up my stenciling or possible set the colored chalk into the fabric.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356043[/ATTACH]

I ran a basting stitch around the edges of the Border Sandwich and then began to quilt my design on the border.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356044[/ATTACH]

When I quilted the center of the short and long side strips I rolled the front and back of the border into a scroll. I found that this gave me great control and I was easily able to guide the needle. (In the picture above I am quilting the bottom border. I did not take the extra step of basting all the way around the edges. I had found that the spray basting was holding well enough.) I don't know that this will always hold true. *** My personal thoughts are that the denser quilting designs such as stippling or tight geometrical designs need to have the extra hold of the sewn basting around the edges. ***

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356045[/ATTACH]

I then trimmed the excess batting and backing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]356046[/ATTACH]
To give myself room for error I made my top border longer than it needed to be. So at this point I trimmed both sides of the top border in relation to the design of my quilting. Now Im ready to attach the border to my center piece.
Attached Thumbnails attaching-borders-1.jpg   attaching-borders-2.jpg   attaching-borders-3.jpg   attaching-borders-4.jpg   attaching-borders-5.jpg