View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 11:21 AM
GrandmaNewt

When our kids lived at home the house was always spotless. The kids did their chores and Mom and Dad did theirs just to set a good example for the kids But like so many others here...now that the kids are gone and we are retired, the housework thing has gotten a bit more relaxed around here.

My house is not cluttered, and not really dirty. I don't mind if company stops over, nothing to be embarrassed about here. However....I don't always do the dishes right after dinner, they often get done after breakfast the next day. I should vacuum more often as I have black cats and light tan carpet, but these days if it gets done once a week then I'm doing good. What really motivates me to vacuum is when someone comes over and asks what happened to my carpet. At times the fur gets bad enough to look like oil stains all over the carpet. Hubby and I are both good about not leaving clutter around. Laundry gets done weekly give or take...as soon as we start running out of clean shorts or whatever to wear
There are a few things I still do daily. Clean the cat litter boxes daily is a must. I don't like my house to smell like cats, gotta keep those boxes clean! I give the bathroom a quickie wipe down daily....just something I grew up doing. Used to cook dinner daily....getting lazy about that though. Now I cook maybe 3 times a week, Hubby cooks once or twice, and we eat out on the rest I also keep my sewing room very clean. Eat off the floor clean. That is because of the cats for two reasons. One is to keep them safe from pins, eating threads scraps etc. The other is to keep the cats from leaving cat hair all over the room. Nothing worse than sewing a project and finding you have sewn long black cat hairs into every seam.