Old 08-17-2012, 04:40 PM
J Miller

Default A pleasant surprise, and a bit of a mystery.

We are slowly working on cleaning out the garage. Since we started this my wife has found a number of sewing attachments and accessories just hither thither in boxes. As she's been finding them I've been putting them all together so we can find and use them when we want.
Today she found another low shank Singer buttonholler in the square dark green rubbery plastic box.

This is the second buttonholler she's found, but this one was my moms. When I opened it I saw it had a couple extra cams and .... a receipt:

M. J. Miller, or Mary Jonella Miller was mom's name. This was the buttonholler she used with the HOTHER machine.

No instructions, but I can print up a booklet if I want to. The strange thing is, the receipt put the purchase in Farmington, NM in um, 67? Nooooooooo, that ain't right.

So there's the mystery. In 1967 we lived in Phoenix, AZ and I was in my freshman year at high school.
No way in the world could that date be right. We moved to Phoenix in 60 or 61, maybe even in 59, I'm not totally positive. I do know for positive that in November of 63 when President Kennedy was killed I was in class at ST Mary's Catholic School in Phoenix.

So I'm thinking the correct date should be 4-2-57. I say that because the price is $5.67 cents. Perhaps the salesman had a brain phart and wrote 67 rather than 57. I'll never know, moms been gone since '01 and I doubt anyone in NM would be alive either.

But I have one more of moms sewing tools. In a bit I'm gonna hook the buttonholler up on the HOTHER and see how they work together.

Joe