View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 06:02 PM
jennb

The Singer I can figure out but this Union Special one has me puzzled. I can't find any info on it. I see there is still a "union special" in business and they make sewing machines, but they had no clue when I contacted them. The Serial number is 160089 on it.

The guy who had them said they were part of the contents of a factory/warehouse that had not been in operation for more than a decade, but he found documents dating the opening of it to 1867, and he wasn't entirely sure if these were original to the factory or not. From what he gathered they produced garments of some sort but what specifically he did not know. He said they weren't this bad when he got them but he had sat them on his porch and forgot about them so they were out in the elements for about 4 months. Quite a bit of rust just came off on my hands from lifting them (and this thing is like an anvil. WAY heavier than any of my other machines. I had to use both hands to lift it out of the back of my SUV.) I'll go get some (alot) of evaporust tomorrow and start soaking away. I guess it cant hurt them to sit in that for a good while.