Old 08-17-2012, 07:23 PM
mariedavis

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Been thinking of this post for days now.

Questions and thoughts keep coming to my mind.

How does one respond to a person that you meet for the first (or second) time that states, " I have been known to get up and move to a new seat or just leave a class or group gathering because of disliking the people near me".

Well, this happened to me. I was so dumbfounded that I didn't know how to respond at the time. I just smiled and said oh. The first time I met this person making such a comment was too brief for us to chat. This was our second meeting when she came out with such a statement.

Well, that person did pack up and leave early that day. She was sitting across the table from me. I didn't say anything to insult her. I don't know if she was sending a message to me by leaving, but to this day I'm wondering what the heck really happened that day.

Doesn't that person making such a comment realize the message that they are sending to others. A message of I don't value you as a worthy person. Should one judge so soon onto others that they meet for the first time.

So, I think now on these words about the thoughts of the movie "How to Make an American Quilt", and I try not to judge.

How does one respond nicely to a comment like that?

Should I have just reseated myself elsewhere? That way both of us would be comfortable from that point on.

Such a shame because we can all learn from each other.

Sorry this is off topic from sewing, but we all take classes.
This reminds me of a time when I attended a quilting party just after Thanksgiving. There was a raffle table full of fabrics with Christmas themes. Numerous folks were standing around the table admiring some of the fabrics. Someone asked one gal if she was going to purchase a ticket. The gal screamed out in a nasty tone "I'm Jewish, I'm Jewish". That day, I wish I had told her, "GOD doesn't judge. Those fabrics could be made up to keep someone warm".

Sometimes it is best to ignore rude behaviour like hers and other times not.

And with that..... God bless you Laura.