View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Tothill

A couple thoughts.

I never give a handmade gift, if I am not sure of how it will be received. Or have invested so much time and energy into it that I would be disappointed.

I regift things that I have been given that do not suit my lifestyle to someone who would better enjoy it.

My grandmother made beautiful crochet bed spreads for my brother and I when we were young. I never even knew they existed until after she had died. Now 30 years later it is on my bed in the winter. It is too heavy for warm weather use.

My step mother had a house fire when her youngest child was 2. They lost everything except their lives and the dog. She had been saving china linens etc for special occasions or to use when the children were older. All her beautiful things were lost in the fire. When they rebuilt, she decided that if she wanted to eat breakfast off chine she would. She would let the children drink out of the crystal glasses etc.

So I try to follow her example. I use the beautiful and or special things, but if they do not suit our lifestyle I let them go to someone who will appreciate them. If a gift was for our children it would be used, but if I was given a pink gift, I would regift it to someone who would appreciate the colour.

My MIL tried to give us her dining room suite. I refused, because I knew it would still be 'hers' and she could not fully let it go and accept the way we would use it. So my BIL got it and every time she is in his house she checks it for scratches, comments if she does not feel it is properly polished etc.