View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 06:26 AM
weezie

I have ideas of doing machine applique some day, but haven't yet. I also have some really cute machine embroidery applique designs that I haven't tried yet. Currently I am doing the Little Brown Bird blocks and it is chock full of tiny pieces; for these blocks, I'm doing a 'cheater' version of needle turn. I tried the iron-the-edges-over-a-template method (tried both template plastic & freezer paper) and I just loathe it, so here's what I do. I cut the template out of freezer paper, press it onto the fabric and use a cheap mechanical pencil to draw around the template, including enough fabric all around to turn under. Once the pieces are cut (numbered to correspond with the numbered pieces in the outline) I pin some onto the background fabric, turning under and smoothing the edges as I go. I usually pin a few pieces at night and sew them on the next day. This way, I can remove the pins and the edges stay folded under. I have no problems with unwanted lumps, bumps, or creases. At that point, without having to do much actual needle turn, I can sew something on very quickly and very precisely, removing the few remaining pins as I go. I also have a felt covered styrofoam board that figures large in this method. With straight pins, I keep my block outline and all the little block pieces there, organized and easily accessed.