View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 06:52 AM
Suzan88

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
A new quilt shop opened up exactly 20 miles from my house and I was thrilled to say the least. It was in the walkout basement of the owners house - very homey. The owner, a woman, sadly died about a year after their opening and her DH kept the shop open with the help of his wife's partner. Anyway, they had very good prices on their fabrics, especially batiks. I went in there as often as I had extra money. They all called me by my first name as I walked in the door and were very helpful. Then he decided to close the store and move to another town and started having their going out of business sales - 30% off the first month; 40% off the second month and 50% off their last month, December. I went at least once a week and bought armloads of fabric. I was writing so many checks that I started putting "WalMart" into my checkbook instead of "quilt shop" so my DH would not get so mad. I bought fabric for my DD's new obsession with clothesline bowls too. I think that I went 3 times in the last 50% off week. Each time was greeted by my first name. The very last day - it was just me and the owner in the store- and I wished him the best with his new "life" in his new town, etc. What did I receive from him - NOTHING!!! Not even a "thank you for all of your business" or anything like that. That really stung. When I got home I looked in my checkbook and I had spent around $500 there in the last month.
Perhaps he was so upset about closing it he couldn't trust himself to speak.....