Old 08-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Patricia Faye

Originally Posted by Toucanlady View Post
I have never paper pieced before. Is this too complicated to try to do and learn paper piecing at the same time?
Toucanlady, if you have never paper pieced before then you may want to go to QuiltersCache.com where there are some basic instructions on paper piecing. They start you with a square in a square. They also provide some additional basic patterns that you can make, to continue to practice. There are alot of other sites too. As with
anything, the more you do it,
the easier it will become & the more comfortable & confident you will be with paper piecing.

The first 5 blocks in Quilts for Rosie are not complicated or difficult. They only use 2 colors for each block & if you refer to its block assembly provided with the cutting instructions for each block you shouldn't have any problems. Just take your time and refer to the block page you are working on. The cutting instructions are excellent. I would suggest you do the 10" blocks since it is easier to work with larger pieces of fabric, but the process is the same whether it is a large or small block.

For me, the hardest part is matching up the first 2 pieces to sew. I usually use a dab of Elmer's Glue Stick (washable) on the paper to hold the 1st piece before laying the 2nd piece on top. Then the rest are easy to add. I don't know how many times I've had to take one apart & resew it because I reversed the fabrics. Be sure to keep some Scotch Tape handy in the event you have to do this. It helps to keep your paper together so you have a sewing line after removing what you have sewn once or twice! (Hope this makes sense!)

Also know that if you need help or support, we are here for you. Good luck & hope you join us in September when we get started with Quilts for Rosie.