View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 08:40 AM
irishrose

Three things come to mind when a block isn't the size it was intended. First is the ever so hard to accomplish - the perfect 1/4 seam. I can't do one without the metal attachment that screws to the bed of the machine. Even the 1/4" foot didn't work for me. Second is distorting the block with the iron when you press it. You need to press by lifting the iron when you move it - not sliding the iron. Third -should be first - is are your cuts exactly the correct size? I had to buy the June Tailor Shape Cut Ruler as I tended to go wide at the end of a cut. Another problem for me is not sewing 1/4" all the way to the end of the seam - I tend to veer to the right the last inch, but I'm working on it.

I am only six months ahead of you in time spent quilting, so my advice may not worth what an experienced quilter's is, but these are my problems. A block should need very little squaring - HSTs are a different story as I deliberately make mine a little large so they need it. I'm doing a log cabin type baby quilt now and the blocks have been perfect at every round - no squaring needed, so there is hope if you address the 1/4" seam and the pressing, IMO.

If a block isn't the right size, figure out why and resew it. I wouldn't cut it down unless there's no other way. Being a perfectionist makes quilting harder, but that's the way I am and I'm too old to change.

I love Shadowplay - it's on my bucket list, so I think it's worth working on. Can you save the blocks that are off for another project and replace the fabric to finish the quilt or follow Pat M's advice and resize the blocks? Good luck.

Last edited by irishrose; 08-18-2012 at 08:43 AM.