View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Suz

I taught myself needle turn many many years ago. Applique is my very favorite method of piecing/quilting. Recently I learned a new method which has become my favorite: back basting applique. I know there is a YouTube video out there but I do it differently. I'll do my best to explain the method to you here:

1. Using a light box or window, trace your complete pattern to the wrong side of your background. Use a light pencil line or the new FriXion pen by Pilot (mine is navy).

2. Determine which piece needs to be appliqued first (one that another piece will overlap). Cut a piece of fabric approximately the size required.

3. From the wrong side of the background, stick pins at 3 or 4 places thru to the right side. Make sure your applique fabric covers the pins right side up. Hold up to the light and make sure your shape is covered.

4. Move the pins to the right side and then baste from the wrong side all the way around your shape. Use 1/4" stitches being sure to have a stitch at a point (as in a leaf). Leave thread tails (do not use any knots because you will be removing these as you stitch).

5. Using either the Pilot pen, the white Clover pen, make a dotted line between the stitches on the right side of the applique piece.

6. Very carefully, trim the applique piece to 1/8" along the dotted line. (Scarey, but if wider, you will have trouble turning a nice curve.)

7. On a straighter edge, begin to turn the edge and start stitching, pulling out 3-4 basting stitch ahead as you go.

8. Take an extra stitch at the point of a leaf to secure before starting down the second side.

NOTE: The Pilot pen and Clover pen inks will disappear with the touch of a iron. The Pilot is available at a stationery store although I purchased mine at the LQS.

Also, where you can see there will be an overlap, you need not needle turn. Just baste is in place with your applique thread to keep it flat.

Also, be aware of a negative/positive pattern. If you need to reverse the direction of a pattern, trace it first on tracing paper, turn over and continue.

Needle turn applique makes you very portable. I also find that I no longer struggle to place my pieces exactly where the pattern says they should be.

Hope this is clear. Ask, if not.

Last edited by Suz; 08-18-2012 at 05:50 PM.