View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 03:28 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

i have made 4 (so far-always another one in the works) wool quilts---and i guess reading all of your (you can't's) i do everything wrong! but i have to tell you---
my wool quilts are BEAUTIFUL, worth (appraised) alot, and get tossed into the washer AND THE DRYER when they need it. i use wool batting (which has little to no shrinkage & is a dream to work with) and either wool or really nice thick double sided flannel for backings. the quilts are fabulous- people love them- i sold one for $3500!
they hold up very well- stay beautiful- i do not (baby) my wools- when recycling wool clothing i (de-construct) then wash in the washer in HOT water with detergent, rinse twice- then dry in a regular dryer-till just barely damp- then i press/iron the pieces & use them- sometimes for hand applique, sometimes for pieced blocks, i strip the left overs for hooked wool rugs- when the quilt or rug is finished it is still washable/dryable- quite usable- and i know people who are waiting in line to get one some day. wool is wonderful to work with! my favorite fiber.