View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 05:02 AM
clsurz

Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
I wouldn't trash it. I don't trash, I reinvent. I don't like wasting. I will repurpose. I would take a picture for those in the know to figure out what can be done. It also would help if you went on to something else temporarely. Another thing I have in my head is I don't use other people's patterns. I prefer to make my own. I have seen many patterns I like, but will create my own design.
IMHO as is the opinion of many quilting fiber artist there is no such thing as an error or things not matching up. I agree with you that I also do not use other people's patterns and make my own. I belong to at least two quilt guilds around here and another in another city in this state and they will tell you I have never used a pattern and refuse to do so. I have taken many online classes from quilting fiber artist who are known internationally who will tell you "rule #1 - there are no rules", "rule #2 - oh yeah there are no rules".

DO NOT THROW away your project, reinvent it into something else.

I've had ladies around here who are of the "cookie cutter mindset" tell me in the last year that when they first got to know me they felt bad for me and felt there was no hope for me because to them what I was attempting to create without another persons pattern and saw what I was doing was sending chills through there bodies and today they admire what I create although they feel they could never do what I do.

My point in sharing this is THERE REALLY ARE NO RULES even if you use a pattern. If it does not come out like you think it should based on the directions create your own design out of it and make it yours. If you really think about it all a pattern is for the most part someone who most likely used someone elses pattern and modified it into a new pattern to make it there own.

There are many things to do to salvage such a project so post a photo so we can see what your concerns are and we can make recommendations on how to make it your own.