Old 08-19-2012, 07:27 AM
charity-crafter

Default Qulting-how long does it take you to do the actual quilting?

I make quilts for charity with a great group of ladies. In the past I just made the tops because honestly, I don't like quilting...yes, I know, sort of an oxymoron. Plus I get a bad back ache when I do I guess from the shoulder strain of leaning over the machine and once it's working I don't want to stop.

Our group had been blessed with several professional LA'ers and a couple people who had just gotten LA's and wanted to practice. (With the understanding that if it wasn't working, they had to stop and help un-sew everything) Well, that was the old days. People have had to go back to work, others are taking in paying quilt jobs and our group has grown tremdously, used to be 5-10 of us consistantly making tops and now we have ~30 and it's overloading the LA's

I have to quilt now, boo hoo. So I have some small ~45"x50" ones that I'm going to work on. Nothing too challenging at first.

So on a DSM, how long does it usually take you to quilt a small quilt-barring Murphy's law (everything tha can go wrong, will go wrong), how long does it take you to finish, when the sandwich is ready? I'm having problems getting started becaue I feel like it's going to take forever.

I've watched the Leah Day videos on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nz0QwNv1AA She has great ideas, the one thing i don't like is she uses a small square to show and hey, even I can quilt a 9" sqare with no problems. It's the huge thing that take over the whole sewing table and floor around it, and sometimes the cat.