View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 08:14 AM
Jenniky

I received a PM giving feedback regarding a question I had asked on personal experiences with using the brand Sulky 2000 spray basting adhesive.

I want to continue to thank everyone for your feedback and input on this thread. I want to share my response to the PM here on the thread because I think it is food for thought on the overall picture of using SPRAY BASTING ADHESIVES and other products. I personally have been wondering with the different result everyone seems to have with the different manufacturers if a possible combination of things are happening to influence the results.

Such as the shelf life of the glue, If it is shaken up enough prior to spraying, How close the can is held to the fabric and how heavy it is sprayed on. Climate/Temperature of the room you are spraying in. ??? I don't have the answers, however I do think all of these factors can impact the result of using any of the adhesive spray products.

I would encourage that if it is the first time you are using any product spray adhesives or otherwise to actually test them on smaller test pieces of fabrics as usually is suggested or mini projects to become accustom to the product before using it on a large project where frustration seems to become ex potential when things go wrong. Personally, I use to start right in on my projects not wanting to take the extra time to test first. My experiences over time have revealed that I actually save myself a lot of grief, frustration, and disappointment by taking the extra steps to ensure that I am using the product (whatever it is) correctly or in some cases I am actually using a inferior or aged product that is no longer good to use.

Also if I use a product once with negative results; I try to use the product again varying from whatever you did the first time. I think of it as, someone out there has had lots of positive results or the product would not be on the market. What are they doing different to achieve those positive results?

I often get in a haste; in the excitement of seeing my projects evolve (especially when I'm doing something completely new) that I overlook the learning process of using new techniques or products correctly so lately I have slowed down to take the extra steps and when I do have a negative experience I try to give the product the benefit of the doubt and give it another test with different variables.

I hope you are enjoying and learning a lot in the thread I am hosting because I am and that was my intention.