View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 01:06 PM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

I have never spray basted. For hand quilting I either baste with needle and thread or I safety pin the sandwich together, removing the stitches or pins as I progress. I would not want to take the chance of putting additional drag on the needle from the glue in spray basting.

My favorite size hoop is a 14" hoop. But I would not attempt to hoop a quilt sandwich in the car. I find it easiest to hoop on a table. I lay my inner hoop flat on the table, then drape my sandwich over it then I put my top hoop on. I then put a bit of slack on it by using my fist and running it around the peremeter from the back. Then I tighten my hoop.

Needle and thread are a personal preference. If you are a beginner hand quilter you may find a small needle size to difficult to handle. You may wish to experiment with what size needles you like best and what will be easiest for you to thread. I use #11 Roxanne Betweens. You may prefer something else. I think when I first started handquilting I used a #9 between.

Any good hand quilting thread will do. I have used many hand quilting threads from Coats and Clark Dual Duty to Valdani 30 wt. I love Valdani thread but it is hard to find unless you have time to shop on line. Like needles, your thread choice is very personal. What I love, someone else may hate.

I would recommend a few more things for your travel pack. Thimbles, a needle threader or good strong magnifying glasses, beeswax or thread conditioner (I use beeswax to run my thread through. it helps to keep it from tangling) some nice small scissors so you can easily cut your thread at an angle, makes threading the needle easier.