View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 12:02 AM
WilliP

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
My granddaugther is now 9 yrs. old and she STILL brings that quilt upstairs with her when she wakes up!! It is now in shreds but she won't take anything new she loves her "Blankie". Her brother who is 4 also loves his quilt. He also brings his upstairs when I am on duty babysitting. It does my heart good that they really do love and appreciate them. But I really am more than ready for my granddaugther to adopt a new, bigger quilt and tuck old Blankie away. But so far she won't hear of it!!
Reminds me of the quilt my sister made and gave to my son as he didn't have one at age 2 for his birthday. It is made from Polyester doubleknit backing and the top is prequilted animals and gingham squares from her days doing custom draperies and home dec for a local store. Anyway, son is almost 37 and that blankie is still in use on his bed or packed when he is going out of town. On the honeymoon his wife couldn't figure out why they had to go back two hundred miles to retrieve the blankie at home before they could go on their trip! LOL So, some quilts literally bite the dust with all the love that is shared under and on them and continue to hang in there. I make quilts and enjoy the process and hope they find a niche to fill in someone else's home. If they eventually end up as the padding under the car as someone works to keep the beloved car running, who am I to comment? My quilts generally are 100% cotton with cotton batting so they can cushion and absorb most anything. I am trying to make a few to have on hand when there is a disaster and someone needs a blanket as well as an affirmation that they are cared for by other members of the community. God forbid that I not make an effort for charity to be just the same as something I would gift anyone I know with. Upholstry fabric makes great utility quilts too.