View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 04:39 AM
coopah

Originally Posted by MattieMae View Post
Kids today aren’t expected to learn to read an analog clock, or an actual map, or do arithmetic, spell correctly, use proper grammar, or write cursive. Many students graduate high school without the skills an eighth grader used to have. They aren’t required because of calculators, computers, and political correctness.

I always thought that practicing grammar, arithmetic and writing cursive was a good way to teach persistence and discipline. I was recently told that participating in sports does the same thing.

AUGH!!! Please do not generalize.
This isn't true everywhere. I retired just two years ago and my school district had a current math system which taught second graders to tell time both with analog and digital readings. They were tested on it, and we teachers covered the digital part of our clocks and used the analog whenever possible. Like, "How many minutes is it before we go to music," or whatever.What time will that be? If you're there 1/2 hour, when will I come to get you? We also taught grammar, parts of speech, how to write a paragraph, and how to compute without a calculator. We taught the continents, what town the students lived in, their state and their country. This was second grade.

After I left, cursive was taken out of the curriculum and I'm not privy to the reasoning on that. My second graders were eager to learn it, as they saw it as a symbol of growing up. A rite of passage.

Also, parents can teach their children how to tell time. Not everything has to be done in school. If you really want to know what goes on, volunteer or go to PTA meetings. But, please, don't make sweeping generalizations.