View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 05:28 AM
Maire

Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
Don't let them fool you. I questioned my repair guy and this is how he explained it. Brother makes Baby Lock and usually makes a twin to each Baby Lock in the Brother brand. They are the same. An example is Brother's Laura Ashley NX 2000 (I own) and Baby Lock's Symphony. Baby Lock usually runs a little higher for the same machine.

Now, Brother does make a lower line with plastic inters machine, but not all Brothers have plastic inters. Baby Lock just doesn't carry a lower line. Baby Lock is a bit "snobby." But, lower priced, lower lines serve a purpose too. They give people a chance to try out sewing to see if they like it. Most people wouldn't try it if they had to purchase a $900+ machine right off the bat, not knowing if they were going to like it or not.

Shopping around is a great idea and getting to know your repair guy is also important.
I'm reposting what Kathleen said because it is important and true.
I bought my Brother 1500 when they first came out, over 10 yrs ago, might have been 2001. I can't remember for sure but I think the introductory price was $1200, I paid $799, that machine is still going strong, love it.
Maire