View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Neesie

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I can get a pretty consistent scant 1/4" using a lined 3x5 note card. The lines are 1/4" apart -- if you put the needle inside one of the lines and line up the line with the edge of the foot, you get a scant 1/4" for some fabric. I more frequently line up the needle on the inside of one line and the edge of the foot on the inside of the line immediately to the right. I like this better than using a plastic ruler as I don't accidently "ouch" my needle or ruler.

As always, take the time to make a test with your fabric to see what works the best.
Thanks; good to know. Problem was, I was using the wrong presser foot, which has a slightly raised area under it (for bulkier, decorative stitches). The seam's raw edge was getting caught in that little space, which moved it over, just before it passed under the needle. The edge of that little space is just a few threads shy of 1/4". I was guiding the fabric, a bit ahead of the foot, where it was right on the 1/4" line.

I have "The Angler 2" on my machine, which makes 1/4" very easy to follow. It's a plastic template, you tape onto your machine. I found this item in one of my "misc. sewing stuff" drawers, about a month or so ago. I got it, several years ago, but put it away because I used my older machine mostly for garment sewing. Then I forgot about it, until digging through that drawer. It's SO much easier on the eyes, than trying to stay focused on the machine's guide!

Note: I do not sell The Angler 2, nor do I have any stock in the company . . . but I wish I did!