View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Skyangel

Lucky You!!! Hearing stories about FW finds keep me looking! Both of my finds have been on craigslist and neither for free!

Are you talking about refinishing the case or the machine? I refinished my first case by scrubbing it first with an upolstery cleaner called Tuff Stuff, regluing the loose fabric with Elmers wood glue, then going over it with Kiwi black shoe polish in a dauber bottle. It looks like new! I have yet to go over the second case. It might need a new handle, I'm not sure if I can save it. Lukily, neither have the notorious "FW case stink" that can be hard to eradicate.

The second FW I bought is a repaint (the purple one in my avatar). I think it was cosmetically challenged, judging by the condition of the case. I don't know who did it, but there are several people online who paint FW and it can be spendy. It is usually done with automotive paint, then new decals, followed by clear coar that is much tougher than the original shellac. Short of a repaint, clean the machine good, being careful of the decals (many cleaning products will silver your decals of the shellac coating is compromised), then coat with 2-3 coats of carnuba wax to protect it.